Sunday, November 11, 2007

Snow Big Deal

It's like some fundamental law of the universe that a blog post title must be witty. Or, you know, be an attempt at wittiness. I'm not sure I'm always successful.

Anyway, it's snowing! For real this time! It's snowed a few times before this, but yesterday was the first day that there was any meaningful amount of snow left on the ground after it stopped falling from the sky, and it started snowing again last night. It looks like it's pretty much done for the day, but there are a few inches on the ground! Yay! Now I can try and force Soren to sled again.

While I'm here, I'm going to have to change my attitude about snowy days. In Rhode Island, everyone makes a fairly big deal about snow (cleaning all the grocery stores out of bread and milk is something Rhode Islanders like to do in preparation for two inches of snow). So on a snowy day in RI, chances are good that you'll get out of work early, and no one will really expect you to go anywhere after that, so it's a great excuse to sit around and watch TV or maybe take a walk around the neighborhood. In sum, snowy day = slothfulness.

In Anchorage, though, people spend good money on studded tires, because it's a given that there will be snow on the roads pretty much constantly between November and May. So a snowy day is... just another day to go out and live your life. Go to work, go to school, go to the grocery store, all that fun stuff. So much for my slothfulness. I guess I'll have to start practicing driving in the snow.

Come to think of it, I don't even know if they have snow days in Anchorage schools. I'll have to look that up.

3 comments:

Chris said...

This morning I was passed by a school bus as I spun my wheels trying to get up a hill in our neighborhood. I gave up and went around the longer way (with less gradient). Six inches of snow on the lightly trafficked roads, slick-packed snow on many others (main residential roads), and no snow day, or even a delay.

I think they treated the parking lot at the university with a Zamboni. It's not scraped, it's polished.

Claudia Golden said...

This time when you force Soren to sled take a movie of it...it will be useful to him in the future...and possibly save him money, as he can just show it to his Shrink...thus cutting through all the foggy details...just a thought:>)
Love Gramma,

Anonymous said...

We DO have snow days! There's a cold temperature day (-40 I think...maybe -50) and then snow days are when the snow makes bus travel impossible. We've had snow days when we've had multiple feet of snow. There was one a few years ago during spring break. We got 1 1/2 feet in one snowfall! People couldn't get their cars out of their yards.