Friday, November 7, 2008

Finally diffcharged!

How many awesome C. diff puns can there possibly be?!?!?! Okay, the answer may be none, but I'm trying my best.

Anyway, I'm back home as of Wednesday afternoon! So nice. I managed to talk my doctors into letting me take charge of my own pill-taking and hydration (i.e. drinking stuff instead of getting IV fluids, since I'd had no trouble staying hydrated before they admitted me), so they let me out. Besides the obvious perks, such as getting to wear clothes, see my family, and not be awakened five times a night by nurses (I can take care of that last one all by myself, TYVM), my push to be discharged was mainly guided by the need to stop eating their food, because -- get this -- it wasn't boring or bland enough. I know! This is hospital food we're talking about, right? And yet, even when they put me on their most boring diet, I still pretty much only had options like baked turkey and cooked carrots and mashed potatoes with lots of milk and butter. Tasty, but not even close to what I needed, and the diet made me feel worse every day I was there. At home, I've been eating noodle soup, white toast, white rice, and plain yogurt with honey, and have felt a major improvement. While the infection has yet to clear up completely, I haven't been experiencing anything close to 5 on the pain scale, which was the point I'd gotten to by the time they discharged me. The final straw was when I asked for the plainest yogurt they had and they sent up vanilla yogurt with aspartame AND high-fructose corn syrup. Sorry, friends, that is not food.

While I eat my white food and take four pills a day and wait for the whole thing to clear up, Chris's mom is here being very helpful in the areas of playing with toddlers and keeping the place way cleaner than I ever do. However, she does not have Chris's gin and tonics ready when he comes home, so I don't know how he feels about having her here.

On a completely unrelated note, the only two decent radio stations we get inside the house have switched over to 24-hour CHRISTMAS MUSIC and I want to KILL THEM. Yes, yes, there's the iPod and the internet radio and all those newfangled things, but I can't control them with a remote while sitting around on the couch. Also, it is a crime against humanity to play Christmas music for six weeks straight, because there are only ten Christmas songs total, and doesn't that make everyone go insane? Is it just me?

2 comments:

Renee K said...

We start nonstop Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas Day...then its banned until the following year.

And believe it or not, it is Evan that loves it, not me. They may have a 10 song playlist, but only 2 or 3 are good. :-)

Anonymous said...

C diff - wow, you're an infectious disease superstar! I'm really sorry about the bugs (those bastards are really aptly named) and I'm really sorry about the ER and the crackers. I've said this a million times - the hospital is the worst place to get sick. My hospital will have a buffet that caters to sick pregnant women and that actually lets patients sleep through the night. Hope you feel DIFFinitively better!