Thursday, June 14, 2007

UGH INTARWEB

Forget the groceries. Freaking internet access is the most idiotically outrageous piece of crap expensive thing in Alaska. Besides UPS ground shipping. But I'll get to that. OH AND I won't even be able to get Harry Potter 7 delivered here on the release date!!!!! HULK MAAAAAAAAAD!!!!1!1!!!

Ahem. Internet. We have a lame slow cable modem connection right now, with a data transfer quota of 3 GB, which comes bundled with not-really-cable cable TV (broadcast stations only) and land-line phone for $40/month. If I want to upgrade to a faster connection, it will cost an extra $50.00 per month for 5 mbps or $70.00 for 7 mbps. EXTRA. If I want real cable TV (not anything special, mind you, just your average basic cable), I have to upgrade to a package that costs $80.00 per month. Yes, plus the extra $50 - $70 for fast(er) internet.

This, plus the fact that it costs $19 to ship a 1 pound package via UPS ground from the lower 48, means that I can not live here permanently. No worries, I'm having a good time and I think it's pretty here and all that. I think I can last six months. And I guess I can go wait in line at midnight with all the kiddies for my copy of Harry Potter.

4 comments:

Claudia Golden said...

I see you have finally addressed Adams comment: "...your attitude is too positive, you're not holding up the Blog ideal of disaffected pissed-offedness."

Kirsten said...

Well, not exactly... if I were being disaffected about my pissed-offness, I would have tagged the post "GCI sucks, but whatever" instead of just "GCI sucks".

Adamooo said...

Actually, not-interestingly, my company has, um, tried to sell stuff to GCI. Not sure if I can say whether it succeeded. But I hope it's not our fault that it's expensive up there ;-). If they are using our stuff, at least there should be some Quality to the Service. 'Cause that's what we're about. Quality.

M&M said...

Buy good interweb and download tv shows.

You don't get any sympathy from me. Hi, I share 256 k down with 1100 people!!!!!

And we don't have tv. Well, we have cnn, fox and espn. (Oh and the bridgecam view, ie, the water everywhere view, fascinating.) Then it is all about the dvd library.

On the other hand, which will you want when there is only five hours of light, or three, or wait, what light?