Monday, June 18, 2007

Finally seeing some sights

We finally got out of Anchorage yesterday and drove down to Seward. It's an amazing drive along the inlet and mountains:



We must have seen at least fifteen bald eagles along the way. No bears or moose, though (yet). In Seward, we visited the Sea Life Center, which has some very nice exhibits of local marine life (birds, fish, and mammals) and seems like a perfectly reasonable place to take a toddler when you've all got cabin fever and want to drive a couple hours out of town. We're expecting to be in that situation a few times while we're here, so we got a membership.

On the way back to Anchorage, we took a detour to Exit Glacier, even though the powers that be didn't think it was a good idea:



(I'm guessing this is mainly a winter warning)

Chris strapped young Soren on his back and we took a short hike up to the glacier. It's times like these when I get to bust out with the whole "I carried him for nine months" schtick, even on Father's Day. There's no way I can carry that boy in a backpack. Anyway, it was a great little walk -- you can get right up to the glacier, and there are lovely views of the landscape:





More pictures are up on our Flickr page.

Sadly, Soren doesn't seem to be feeling well today -- he slept 13 hours last night and has taken a two-hour nap today. I mean, if this is how he chooses to act when he isn't feeling well, I'll take it, but I feel bad for my little guy. He could just be growing... in which case we'd better get going on more of these hikes before he gets too heavy for Chris to lug around!

Oh, and FYI, we did see more moose poop. I didn't take any pictures this time. You can thank me on the comments page.

1 comment:

Claudia Golden said...

Alaska looks just like I expected it would...one thing I'm curious about...does it remind you of any place you've been to before? the 'lighting' in the pictures reminds me of the 'lighting ' in some of your New Zealand pix.?.

I can't wait to visit (I'll bring my own coffee beans!) I'll pass on the "Moosewell House"