Monday, June 25, 2007

Creative Endeavors

I'm trying to pursue my various artistic interests while we're here, since I supposedly have all this free time. Now I will show off what I've done so far. First, my new socks. I knitted them both at the same time on two circular needles, which is an awesome method because it lets me avoid Second Sock Syndrome (the feeling of crushing boredom that arises from working for a really long time on one sock and then realizing you have to do all that AGAIN). In case you're interested, there are instructions here.



I've also been drawing pictures for Soren's room, to make it a little more homey. I've done three so far:





I haven't used colored pencils in a while, so it's cool to start playing around with them again. It's kind of ridiculous that I had to buy a new set when we got here, because I have about 80000 Prismacolors at home, but it turned out that the box-of-fun-stuff I packed to bring here (containing pencils, watercolors, and yarn) was accidentally put on the moving truck. So now I have to buy NEW colored pencils and NEW yarn. Awwww. I did get an amazingly awesome deal on pencils at a yard sale the other day, though -- 52 Prismacolors (plus some Crayolas and other junk) for ONE DOLLAR. And they're all barely used. Considering the pencils cost about $1.25 each in a store, I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

So that's it for creativity, unless you count paid work, in which case I'm designing a logo (for a cockatiel society -- the fourth cockatiel society for which I've made a logo. It's like a fun game -- how many can I do without repeating myself?) and working with a few invitation clients.

Other things I intend to write about at some point:


  • Anchorage's "grid" "system" of roads
  • The cool toys that we bought for Soren that we've been playing with while he naps
  • Upgrading RAM in a Mac Mini seems to involve a putty knife

7 comments:

Claudia Golden said...

you're bring sexy back with those socks!!!

Cookie Munster said...

So, if I get a similar double needle set up, can i start a second scarf I'll never finish at the same time I knit the first scarf I'll never finish?

Ah well. Cool socks, and cool drawings. I notice you only need to put an "i" above the mouse and then do one for "c" and you'll be finished with those.

Christi said...

Ok, the last one is making me feel a little dumg. What is the third animal? A letter would help me decide unless you're going generic like "C" for cute.

Kirsten said...

DUDE IT IS A GUINEA PIG

I thought I'd improved since failing Guinea Pig Drawing I at Art Center, but apparently not.

Boy, I hate making Christi feel dumg. :^D

Chris said...

Actually, the guinea pig is C for cavy. She just needs to do the i. And retake Guinea Pig Drawing I, the other section with the other instructor.

Eric, I'm disappointed...I hoped you'd come up with a plausible animal for the picture starting with i.

Cookie Munster said...

Well, I just assumed you knew I was referring to the ice mice. It is a frozen mouse doomed to end up as reptile feed, right? I mean, it's stuck to a blue ice patch.

Hmm, I guess that's a little grim for little Soren. Perhaps it's a rendering of the prehistoric Ice mouse?

Either way, that's "i", and I await the compsognathus drawing to complete the set.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a wombat.

P.S. Stupid diplomacy game -- for some reason the default setting thinks my name is "Deluge" (long story)