Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Postcount++

Splitting my thoughts up into several short blog posts makes me seem so much more productive, if blogging counts as being productive. It's certainly more productive than Facebook Scrabble. I have six games going at once. What? Shut up.

We had something of a "Kids Say the Darnedest Things" moment yesterday. I had to take Soren and Sigrid along with me to a doctor's appointment in the morning, since the law has things to say about me leaving them at home alone, and they were their usual charming selves the whole time. Soren brought his lizard Beanie Baby (named, incidentally, Lizard Patrick Lizard) with him and made conversation with everyone who expressed an interest in him, Lizard, or Sigrid. Eventually, he remembered that doctor's visits generally involve lollipops, so I produced a root-beer-flavored Dum Dum pop for him in order to buy further good behavior.

When the visit was over, we got into the elevator with one of the receptionists, who asked Soren all the de rigeur questions about his sister ("Her name is See-gwid!") his lizard ("Lizard is my best friend!") and his lollipop. A transcript of the lollipop conversation follows. It is mercifully short.

---
Receptionist: Hey, is that lollipop good?

Soren: This lollipop is brown! Like your face!

Me: Uhhhhh...

Elevator: Ding!
---

Now, it is true that the lollipop was brown, and the receptionist also happened to be brown. And she laughed, which hopefully means she wasn't offended. And it's not like it was offensive, right? I hope? I mean, it's not like the time when I was four and I told one of my mom's friends that she had a fat butt. If he'd said something like that -- or should I say WHEN he says something like that -- I would feel horrible and might actually die right on the spot. I think it was his wording. "Like your face?" Really? He couldn't just say, "Like you?"

Okay, I can't decide whether to feel bad about it or not, so I'll stop thinking about it.

4 comments:

Renee K said...

That is so funny! Kids are so innocent and its not like she doesn't know she is brown. I am sure its nothing to be worried about, but thanks for milking the entertainment value out of it for us!

Claudia Golden said...

Word from the Wise....(???)

Make sure Soren doesn't hear any seemingly innocuous jokes, that might include actual 'characters' that children identify with and/or recognize, say...Miss Piggy or Kermit...one that he might easily repeat at an inopportune moment (of course there is no opportune moment for that)...like my daughter Kirsten did...

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Claudia, you can't just *tease* like that! Dish the dirt!

And g, when Soren does do that, I advise that you distract him! Quickly! With a lollipop or any other handy thing!

If you reach for the instinctive gentle reprimand, "it's not nice to say that," you will invite him to ask "why?" and trust me, you'd rather be answering that OUT of earshot of the offended party. Not that I speak from experience or anything...

Sam @ Parenthetical said...

I have no comment other than

HAHAHAHAHAHA!