Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Big City Adventures

Chris and I got back yesterday from a three-day stay in NYC! Grammy and Grampy were kind enough to come out and stay with the kiddos while Chris and I took a little time away. Sigrid has been a little iffy about eating from a bottle lately, but she apparently chose to break her hunger strike after only six hours, and thereafter took the bottle quite cooperatively. She also slept from 11 to 5 last night, maybe because she thinks I'll leave again if she doesn't start shaping up. I'll let her keep right on thinking that.

So here are some things I did in New York:


  • Wore the wrong shoes, as I always seem to do when going to NYC, thus crippling myself temporarily and requiring a trip to a shoe store to get something I could walk in. Nice suede Merrill slip-ons this time.

  • Didn't take any pictures. See next item.

  • Left the backpack containing the camera (the point-and-shoot, not the SLR, thank goodness), Travel Scrabble, OH AND the breast pump on the Metro-North. Still no word on whether we'll be getting it back -- it takes a few days for the MTA to process found items.

  • Bought a new pump -- a manual one, in case I get my fancy electric one back.

  • Saw this at the store where I got the new pump. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

  • Saw the orchid show at the Botanic Gardens.

  • Felt all snooty about the people taking pictures of the orchids with their little pathetic cameras. Honey, you do NOT have the minimum focal distance to pull that off.

  • Tried a couple different bagel places. Ess-a-Bagel was pretty good, but freaking crowded.

  • Kicked a Jaguar (car, not cat) whose driver was trying to verrrrry slowly mow down a crosswalk full of pedestrians in Times Square. Felt good.

  • Bought socks at Bloomingdale's.

  • Strolled the MoMA.

  • Tried out the whispering arch in Grand Central.

  • Saw Coraline 3-D, which was AWESOME.

  • Slept. Oh hell yeah.

  • Ate at Babbo (Mario Batali's restaurant). The food and service were excellent! I'll write more about it if any foodies care.

  • Failed to buy Soren a toy taxi. I'm sorry!

  • Missed the kids just enough to come home.



It's good to be home! Please send backpack-retrieval vibes.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

We ate at Babbo on one of our pre-children NYC adventures. Amazing!!! I love Mario!

Cassie said...

Aw, yay - glad you guys had fun! This is Kappa Cassie, btw - I've been following your blog for awhile since I saw it linked on your Facebooks but I use another blog site, so just now made myself a Blogger account w/ my Gmail so I could finally reply!

Good luck w/ the bag retrieval - hope that works out!

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I always wear the wrong shoes or the wrong kind of clothes in NYC - I usually end up buying a new piece of wardrobe out of necessity every time I go.

And that "wash pod" thing is kinda creepy.

Meghan said...

Wow Kirsten! Aside from the loss of the backpack, that sounds like an amazing time. I totally wore the wrong shoes to New York too. Funny. I love Mario Batali- he's one of the few celebrity chefs that I really really like. Very very cool.

MG said...

Sounds like a great trip - minus the bag loss.

I, too, have bought a previously not brought item to NY. Shoes, clothes, a bag...

I hear Anthony Bourdain's restaurant is pretty tasty too - I want to check that out next time I'm there.

And I agree with Cassie - the wash pod thing is kinda creepy. Though I suppose it is kinda like a bucket - so why would you need to buy a special wash pod...?