Sunday, July 20, 2008

Why Kirsten's going to Kill Me...

Since I was flying all the way to Vietnam anyhow, I figured I might as well take an interesting side trip to see what I could see; a friend and I took a two day trip out of Ho Chi Minh City to Cat Tien National Park. This morning, we hiked two and a half miles in (and out) to visit the Crocodile Swamp (alas, no large reptiles).

If you were to flip through the pages of a bird field guide, you'd notice a few standouts, a few you thought would be great to see. Like the black and red broadbill...


And Kirsten might even like to see a Lesser Adjutant




I think she's probably most envious of this, the Greater Flameback Woodpecker...


However, as jealous as she may be, she may not want to be here. As my friend said yesterday, "I haven't been this hot in a long time." The air is hot. And it is humid. And it is dead still. You need to walk at a good pace to generate enough breeze to dry the sweat off your shirt faster than you generate it; standing still just makes you wetter.

And, there was a big, hair five-inch spider in our bathroom at the park yesterday afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you lost me with that last part. And with the heat. Not that it isn't hot here. But anyway, I am TOTALLY jealous that you saw that woodpecker!!! Sweet!