Monday, January 12, 2009

This is Getting Ridiculous

Could I have jinxed everything more effectively with the first paragraph of my previous post? Cue the medical emergency. It's Sigrid this time; seems the girls are in charge of the medical drama in our household. She contracted RSV from The Vector (by which I mean Soren), which manifests more or less as a cold in children/adults, but which can cause bronchiolitis in infants, as is the case here. She's not in any danger or anything -- she just needs regular suction and some supplemental oxygen to keep her from tiring out (her breathing is very labored). She was admitted to Hasbro on Saturday, and I'm not going to venture much of a guess about when she'll be discharged except to say that it won't be tomorrow.

It's hard to explain how I feel about all this. I'm sad that she has to be here, covered in wires and unable to nurse, and I really want to bring her home and make her smile again... and at the same time, I'm not worried, exactly, which seems strange to say when my baby is in the ICU. I guess I've just heard enough reassurances about RSV and the way it runs its course to feel okay about her being treated here. The illness generally peaks in severity around day 5 (which is today, I think, but I'm not positive), and babies with RSV just tend to need medical care during the worst part so they don't get a more severe infection or get too worn out to eat. So here we are. Wish us luck.

6 comments:

MG said...

Good luck!

*healthy dust* for you and your fam

Anonymous said...

Big Hugs! Staying calm and reassured is absolutely the best thing you could be doing for yourself and Sigrid.

Michelle said...

Sending lots of good, healing thoughts your way. I hope you have her back home again soon, Kirsten.

Anonymous said...

Hope your guys get home soon. -Mika

Remotely Mars said...

I wish you much health and good luck!

Ayanna said...

That is much suckage. I am sorry. I send you all kisses and hugs and hopes for getting well soon...