Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Improving

Sigrid is looking better today -- her breathing is a lot less labored, especially when she's sleeping, which she's been doing all morning. We had a rough couple hours last night between 2 and 4; she was hungry (they'd shut her feeding tube off yesterday just in case they had to intubate), which understandably made it hard for her to settle down and sleep, and she was coughing a lot. I tried to hold her to help her settle down, but she just got madder, probably because my main role in her life is feeding her when she's hungry, and I keep refusing to do that for some reason. Chris apparently gets big smiles when he shows up; I get looks that range from mild puzzlement to YOU IDIOT WHY AREN'T YOU FEEDING ME?????????

Anyway, she was worked up, and I was worked up because I couldn't calm her down, and they had to suction her a couple times, and it was all a big mess. They finally decided to start feeding her again, perhaps at my insistence (I'd been asking them to do that all afternoon/evening, since it would help her sleep and stay calm), but probably because it was the Medically Right Thing To Do.

We both managed to get some rest eventually, although I did feel the need to get up and not look like an uncombed hill person by the time the doctors were making their rounds, so I've gotten significantly less sleep than Sigrid has. They're hoping to wean her off the high-flow oxygen today and maybe let her nurse; keep your fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Claudia Golden said...

Kirsten, the same senses and feelings you are experiencing for your beautiful baby girl, I am feeling for you...I read about your frustrating night and I want to be there to give you my love and support...the care and concern you give Sigrid, I send to you.
Once a mother, always a mother....

I Love You baby girl!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come give you a big hug and distract you with my own back woods public school antics. She sounds like she's one tough little cookie. Good job Mama!

Chris said...

I hope that, going forward, you will be able to eek by on less sleep than Sigrid has. Of course, you are very cheerful on days you get 21 hours of sleep.

pumpkiny said...

Oh, my heart (and huge health beams) goes out to you, Chris and Sigrid!