Friday, October 30, 2009

TRICK A TREEEEEAT

I feel slightly ridiculous for dumping photos and a blog post online fifteen minutes after we get back from Soren's preschool Halloween party, but I'm trying to stay on top of things.

Soren, light of my heart, announced some time ago that he wanted to dress as a leaf pile for Halloween, and that made me love him even more than before. Dressing as a leaf pile is creative, pretty funny, and, best of all, requires no particular sewing skill on my part. Maybe it's weird that someone who's as addicted to knitting and other artistic pursuits as I am doesn't like sewing, but I don't. It's tedious. And I suck at precise measurement because I'm impatient. And sewing machines scare me because they make too much noise, so I have to sew everything by hand.

Oh, so how's this for a backhanded compliment? At the preschool today, one of the Pre-K teachers walked by and said to me, "I love his costume! It's just my kind of costume! When my kids were growing up they were always complaining, 'Mom, why do I have to wear this? You're so bad at sewing!'" Uh. Thanks? Is there even a compliment in there? Maybe it was just a big ol' backhand.

Anyway, judge for yourselves, and then keep it to yourselves unless it's an actual compliment. I think he looks pretty cute, myself.

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

4 comments:

Tracey said...

So cute! Lucky for you to find leaf material! Logan didn't get to wear his costume to school today. I got a note from the teacher that they don't celebrate Halloween at school. They celebrate Fall. A leaf pile would be perfect "Fall" attire!

Brian said...

Is he texting in the second pic? Kids these days, they grow up so fast....

Sam @ Parenthetical said...

Oh, man, that costume is awesome! It is clever and funny, and more importantly, handmade, which makes me love you even more than before. I'm going to start withholding candy from kids with store-bought costumes.

-- Grumpy Old Lady With No Children

Anonymous said...

I think you are very talented. You made one! That is just so cool.