Tuesday, May 20, 2008

You're Invited....

To my pity party! Please bring food.

To date during this pregnancy, I have had one bout of stomach flu and three colds, thanks to my little resident vector, Soren. Cold number 3 came on last night. I would like to not be sick any more. When I was pregnant with Soren, I was freaking bulletproof. Chris got the flu, and I didn't get it. I didn't get one single cold. Those were the days.

OK, now that we've gotten the first part of the pity party out of the way, I would like to talk about a particular pregnancy side effect known as "cravings". Doesn't sound so bad, right? Like, "Hey, I could really go for some pickles and cream cheese about now -- I wonder if we have either of those things around?" Somehow, the word "craving" lacks a certain.... time-sensitivity. And acuteness. I think a more accurate term would be "Immediate, all-consuming need which cannot be satisfied by anything else". If I find myself wanting a pickle, I don't kind of want it sometime in the future. I require that a pickle be delivered unto me NOW. Except it isn't pickles, it's ravioli at 10 AM, or a cheese and avocado sandwich with mayonnaise in the afternoon, or a bowl of white rice with tomatoes at 10 PM. The other night, I needed nachos at 10 PM. I tried to talk myself into having a bowl of cereal instead, because it seemed so much more wholesome. So I ate the cereal, and it didn't work. The Deuce was not fooled. And so I had to have nachos ALSO. The lesson: don't try to get around the craving, because you'll end up eating twice as much as you really needed to, and you should really be pacing yourself, keeping in mind the 50+ pounds you gained last time you were pregnant.

I also have this problem where I can't drink water, because it's gross. Maybe not gross, exactly, but definitely not quite right. It makes me feel hungrier, if that's possible. It's like my body expects everything it ingests to have calories, and water violates that rule. So I've been drinking Gatorade for a few weeks, but now it just tastes too... red, so I recently switched over to lemonade. Iced tea is also acceptable, as long as there's a tablespoon of sugar in it. Honestly, I'm a big fan of drinking plain water all day, so it pains me to have to drink sugar water instead, but The Deuce has spoken.

So, anyway, the theme of my pity party today is colds and cravings. Also, it is my birthday and Chris had to go to Alaska for business this morning. He had to leave at 4:30 AM, so maybe he's been punished enough, but I thought I'd bring it up. Well, OK, I found two very sweet cards from each of my men this morning when I woke up, so that was a good birthday surprise. Maybe I'll go out and get a sandwich to celebrate. I already had cereal and ravioli this morning, but that was more than an hour ago!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirsten!
Happy Birthday! Yay!
And sucks to be sick. Having just got over A three week bout of flu, I am entirely in your court about feeling sorry for oneself. Maybe you could send me a ticket and I will come and look after you? And bring Ravioli?
Love Mel

Claudia Golden said...

If someone doesn't understand , or can't relate to cravings, they should imagine a screaming child, obnoxiously yelling, "GIVE IT TO ME NOW...I WANT IT NOW!! NO!! GIVE IT TO ME!!!!" cravings are equally difficult to ignore.
With Chelsea it was grape juice and pizza, with Kirsten it was mac & cheese(iest), and Erica was ice tea. With Kelly Ann I just ate everything!!!

Happy Birthday Dee Dee

Love Momma

Kirsten said...

Mmmmmm...... mac and cheese.......

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kirsten! And also congratulations! Jennifer told me that you are pregnant and directed me towards your blog. Now I have it as one of my favorites, so I will finally be able to keep up with you. Hope you are doing well!
Sorry about the colds!
-Mitchies

Anonymous said...

I so feel your pain.

Birthday? This is as much notice as I get. Damnit. How am I supposed to knit you anything with your birthday halfway over already. I guess you'll just have to wait until next year. brat.

Happy birthday! (you should have stowed away in Chris's suitcase. brat.)

Anonymous said...

I so feel your pain.

Birthday? This is as much notice as I get. Damnit. How am I supposed to knit you anything with your birthday halfway over already. I guess you'll just have to wait until next year. brat.

Happy birthday! (you should have stowed away in Chris's suitcase. brat.)

MG said...

With Aine, once I could eat again, it was onion rings with lots of ketchup.

I found drinking water with lemon in it helped, because almost everything tasted weird and sour, but if I made it purposefully sour, that seemed to be okay.

Hang in there with the colds...and...happy late birthday! (i'm writing on the 24th)