Monday, December 17, 2007

Stupid Cool

For this entry, I will steal the Stupid Cool concept from my friend Mika, who for many years now has told tales of her travels largely by separating things into two categories: things that are stupid, and things that are cool. So here is my Stupid Cool of the moment.

Stupid: Everyone in the state freaking out because there were eight inches of snow on Wednesday. Traffic on the interstate was backed up for hours and hours and hours (not that I had to go anywhere, so ha), and some schoolchildren were stuck on buses until after 10 PM. Yes, I realize that RI is not AK, and drivers here don't have studded tires (or even snow tires, in many cases), but it's hard to see the system completely break down over 8 inches of snow when Alaskans would be saying, "OK... where's the rest?"
Cool: The temperature goes above 32 degrees occasionally, and the sun comes up well before 8 AM.

Stupid: The boiler breaking down sometime yesterday. It was fixed this afternoon in exchange for lots of money, and in the meantime, it was VERY COLD in here. Luckily, we didn't give away our space heater like we'd planned to last week.
Cool: Our house. Especially when the boiler is broken. HAR HAR

Stupid: We were supposed to have friends over on Sunday, and I was going to get to meet baby Margot Louise Andersen-Smith for the first time, but then there was a gross sleet storm and no one could drive anywhere.
Cool: Said friends no longer live 4,000 miles away, so I will probably get to see them at some point in the near future, and without an expensive plane ticket.

Stupid: Not having moose walking around the neighborhood.
Cool: Sorry, nothing's cooler than having moose walking around your neighborhood.

Stupid: I miss getting together with my Alaskan friends for knitting and coffee and dinner and lots of great spur-of-the-moment hanging out.
Cool: Blogging, email, Flickr, Skype, and all those other wonderful internet doohickeys.


Finally, what would a blog post be without a photo of Soren?

4 comments:

Claudia Golden said...

Stupid: You're still 1,000's of miles away!
Cool: Nothing cool about that.

mom
aka gramma who?

Amber said...

I wish I could disagree with you...but you're totally and completely right on all counts. Sadly...since I am NOW way way far away.

I'll wave to the Moose tomorrow on my way to coffee!

Adamooo said...

Wow . . . if it doesn't sleet-storm again . . . who's bringing Margot over?

Kirsten said...

I don't know, Margot could take the bus or something. She could probably ride for free, too! Great deal!

OK, I suppose I sort of wanted to see Adam and Christi too. Jeez, guilt trips from my mom AND my friends. :^)