Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Taking a Break from not Blogging

I have all kinds of good excuses for not blogging lately. My life isn't that interesting -- that's a major one. Also, everyone in the house has been sick, and Chris was in Vietnam in two weeks and is now in Anchorage for a week, and blah blah blah.

Soren had hand-foot-mouth disease (it's more fun to call it Coxsackie virus, frankly) over the weekend. The poor guy was covered in spots, had a fever, and was very sad because his mouth hurt. On Monday, Renee and Ian came over (Soren got Coxsackie from Ian in the first place, so it was OK for them to play together) (sorry to out you as a disease-spreader, Renee), and we had a nice time -- walked to the park, started making muffins, put Soren down for a nap when he started flipping out because the muffins weren't done yet, finished making muffins, ate muffins. I think all the excitement used up Soren's energy for the rest of the day, though, because all he wanted to do after his nap was watch Cars. We watched it three times. And I was not allowed to leave his side, or else much whining and screaming and "Mama, are you coming RIGHT NOW?!?!?" would commence. So Soren and I watched Cars three times on Monday. Unnnhhhhhnhnhnh.

The story has a happy ending: he feels better, and is back to his usual silly self.

I went to the OB for a checkup yesterday, and she said The Deuce was measuring a little large. Uh-oh. I mean, Soren was almost nine pounds, and he never measured large. Hmmm. Perhaps my special diet of Carnation Instant Breakfast, celery with hummus, and ravioli (not all at the same time) is some kind of fetus-embiggening regimen. If only I could choose to eat other things.

Soren had to come with me to the doctor's office, which he wasn't too thrilled about, but I psyched him up by telling him a) the doctor wouldn't be examining him; and b) he would get to hear the baby's heartbeat, and it sounds like "WWSHEEWWW WWSHEEWWW WWSHEWWW". In his words, "That's pretty silly!" When the doctor got the Doppler out and started moving it around to find The Deuce's heartbeat, it made its usual crackly noises, and Soren said, "It's a thunderstorm!" Then we got to hear the heartbeat, and he thought it was quite funny. I think the only major disappointment for him was the fact that they didn't have any lollipops, which are an important part of any doctor visit.

5 comments:

Renee K said...

Since Soren tried to make both of Ian's talking trucks swim in the pool we thought giving him a disease named cox-sackie was an appropriate payment for his service. :-) C'mon its fun to say in a 12 year old boy sort of way. Since then the trucks have been possessed by chipmunks, talking randomly in high pitched jibberish. Glad the little guy is feeling better.

P.S. You forgot the avocado and mayo sandwiches...which *may* be a great way for Deuce to pudge up!

Can't wait for our next great playdate!

Chris said...

Well, actually not everyone has been sick...unless Kirsten's been sick of us. I brought home a souvenir intestinal infection from Vietnam, so I wasn't good for much more than lying on the couch for two and a half days. (So much for my quality time with family between the two trips.)

I didn't need to subject Kirsten to The Movie Cars though. I'm partial to Judge XYZ shows when I'm ill.

Claudia Golden said...

OK someone has to say it....at least he doesn't have foot-in-mouth disease...I hear (from experience) it can be a re-occurring problem, if not terminal!

I Love You Soren ....and Big Deuce! (and Kirsten & Chris)

Gramma

EricaRuch said...

See? I read your blog!

Michelle said...

Wow - I think you've actually one-upped us on the Cars viewings - we've never done back-to-back showings like that. Desperate times call for desperate measures, though, right?