Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I'm It

I've been tagged with my first meme by alaskanmama! So exciting. And yet so time-consuming. And so I present: Five Things You Don't Know About Me (unless you're Chris).

I have a soundtrack.

I always have a song in my head. Every waking moment of every day. Right now, it's playing "Dock on the Bay," which is not that interesting because I heard that song earlier today, but I will more often than not wake up with a song in my head, and I have no idea where it comes from. Like "Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting." Why would any sane person wake up with that song in her head? Oh. Right. "Sane".

I hate The Mole.

Not the TV show, silly -- everyone knows I love THAT. I'm talking about the one on my chin. Good ol' Mom always used to call it my "beauty mark," which was nice, but I'm tired of it and I want to get rid of it.

I <3 unicorns.

And horses, and ponies. Even though I am not ten years old. I used to full-on believe in unicorns when I was younger, thanks to the gorgeous book Unicorns I Have Known, and it was a sad day when I realized those unicorns weren't real. I still love looking at pretty horses and ponies (and Chris will tell you that I ask for a pony several times a week, mostly in jest), and a couple of my favorite books are about unicorns: The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle, and the Firebringer Trilogy, by Meredith Ann Pierce (reviewed earlier in this blog). Unicorns are pretty. Shut up.

I want to start collecting things.

But the things I want to collect are weird. Most of you know that I love birdwatching, but I also have a thing for taxidermied birds. Hey, they're pretty, and they don't fly away. I'm just not sure there's an appropriate place in my home to put taxidermy. And the other collection I'd like to start is creepy war posters. They're such powerful images -- I'm fascinated by them. This collection should probably wait until there aren't any impressionable young children in the house any more.

I call myself an artist, but...

...I haven't worked on a painting in five years, if you don't count things I've done for work. Those little drawings I did for Soren over the summer are the only bit of "personal" art I've done since 2003. I want to paint and draw, I really do, but I feel like I'm completely out of ideas. Maybe I just need to look at the art of others to inspire me, maybe I need more time to think, I don't know.


Well, that's my five things... that took way too long. Now I will tag others! Megh! Mika! Emily! Christi or Adam or both! Tell me something I don't know.

7 comments:

Miriam Goldstein said...

OMG! Eric and I were just talking about our love of taxidermy! I have been threatening to buy a moosehead off ebay for some years now, but I just found out that the Natural History Museum has taxidermy volunteers. AND you can work in the flesh-eating beetle room! Yay taxidermy!

Anonymous said...

Wow...if I had known those things I think I would have walked past your house on the other side of the street. Unicorns? That's definitely not sane. And it's totally uncool.

Wanna hang out sometime?

Kirsten said...

I might draw the line at actually performing taxidermy. We had Optional Extra-Credit Taxidermy Day in AP Biology in high school (I distinctly remember Emily's opus: a gopher), and I chose to grade tests instead. I like my dead animals without guts, TYVM.

We saw some awesome moose heads in AK, as you might imagine.

Amber: Whatever, cheerleader!

Anonymous said...

Kiss my tukis (tookis? twokiss?). Whatev. I'm still cooler than you. No matter how many flushes I bolted from.

Did I mention I totally miss you (freak)?

La Migraineuse said...

Thank you so much for reminding me of the gopher! I know you all thought I was psychotic at the time, but perhaps it was the first glimpse of a world-class surgeon in the making? I don't think I learned much biology from it, maybe more like how to skin a gopher if I'm hopelessly lost and really hungry. Gopher satay!

Megh said...

Oh my, those are really creepy war posters. You should totally collect those.
Oh, and artist isn't so much what you do but how wierd you are, so you're totally in the clear on that one.

Megh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.