Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Freedom from Fumes

Yesterday was a big day! It was Soren's first day at his new day care, and I got to use my press for the first time in more than 8 months.

I suppose you want to hear about Soren first. That's OK, I understand. He had a good time at "school" (that's what we're calling it), but who wouldn't? There were other kids to play with, and lots of toys and books, and little sinks where a toddler can wash his hands by himself. He cried for two seconds when I left in the morning, but got over it pretty fast... and he cried for five minutes when it was time to come home. So I guess he likes it there. The only issue was nap time; the toddlers have to sleep on cots at school, whereas he's only slept in a crib or Pack'N'Play up until now, so it was a new nap venue for him. He did sleep, but only for a half hour, which is not nearly enough for a day full of so much excitement. He had to take another nap at 6 PM, and then he could barely stay awake for dinner... poor little guy. Hopefully he will settle into the new nap routine and get a little more rest over the next few weeks. He's only going to school three days a week, so he gets some time to recuperate and spend time with boring old Mama.

Funny thing: there is a little girl in his class named Kirsten, and a little boy named Anderson! All we need are a Chris and a Patrick, and things will be super confusing for all of us. I can just imagine the teacher calling for "Soren, Patrick, Anderson!" and Soren looking up, all, "What did I do wrong?"

While Soren was enjoying school, I got to do some work, and it was very exciting. Mostly I did email and AdWords-related stuff, but I also got to use my new QCM guillotine paper cutter (cuts up to a 3/4" stack of heavy paper - very sweet) and print up some new note card designs. Here's one:



When the printing was finished, I decided to try something new: cleaning the press with baby oil. I usually use a "relatively non-toxic" chemical called California Wash, but I went to a shop the other day that does all their cleanup with baby oil and Simple Green, which seemed worth a try. It worked great! Finally, I don't have to worry about gross fumes and warnings that include "target organ effects". And I have a use for the baby oil we have hanging around, because I never really knew what to do with it before. In celebration, here is a beauty shot of my press with the new cleaner of choice! Yes, it's weird, but it's a really nice picture, if I do say so myself!



And if you somehow want to relate today's post title to the fact that I was spared from changing two poopy diapers yesterday, well, go ahead.

3 comments:

Megh said...

That notecard is really beautiful! It must be really aweosome to be able to get back into that now. You should put more pics of your work up!
Daycare is sounding better and better, especially now that I officially have a two year old!

Claudia Golden said...

Kirsten use to cry whenever she had to leave her little friends...and she would get mad if they had to go home from her house...awwww seems like just yesterday...

Jul said...

Paper cutters make me drool.